Erasmus+ “European Schools Go Green” Third Year 2019-2020 – Our project’s last “Green” Magazine
Erasmus+ “European Schools Go Green”
Third Year 2019-2020 Green Magazine
Published on Aug 16, 2020
ERASMUS+ PROGRAMME KA 2 STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP “European Schools Go Green” 2017 – 2020
Third and last Year of collaboration 2019-2020
Our last Digital ” Green ” Magazine
Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova, Italy 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada, Greece
Green Magazine 2020 Contents:
- Article by Mrs Franca Monzeglio – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- Article by Mrs Andreou Aikaterini – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- “ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION IN GENOA AND LIGURIA” – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- “The solar tracker” – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- “Polcevera Park project” – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- “Clean and Run Marathon” – Genova – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- DR ROBERTO CAVALLO INTERVIEW – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- MRS BARBARA BOSIO INTERVIEW – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- DR WALTER RIVA INTERVIEW – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova Italy
- “Climate change – show your stripes!” – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- “ Europe’s renewable energy policies “ – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- “ RES in America “ – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- “GREECE ‘S ENERGY POLICY” – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- “TILOS PROJECT case study” – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- Interview of Political Scientist Proffessor Emmanuella Doussis- 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- Panagiotis Psychogios Interview , Wind Turbines and Farms Construction and Policies – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- Mrs Despoina Kossyvaki Interview , Smart Materials , Bioengineering – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- Interview of Mrs Haroula Kromyadou – Environmental Education –“ Arcturos” NGO- 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada Greece
- Experts/Scientists/ Organizations/ Institutions/ Firms etc having taken part in our project 2017-2020 we would like to thank a lot for their contribution : Italy – Greece
Follow the link to read ans share our magazine ! :
European Schools Go Green magazine 2020 issuu digital publication
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada students interviewed Environmental Engineering ,Smart Material scientist and expert Mrs Despoina Kossyvaki
2ND JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL OF AMALIADA STUDENTS
INTERVIEWED MRS DESPOINA KOSSYVAKI
FOR OUR “GREEN” MAGAZINE 2020
Mrs Despoina Kossyvaki, is a 27 years old scientist and PhD student at the University of Genoa, carrying out her research activity in the Italian Institute of Technology (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia or simply IIT) : Bioengineering and Robotics – Curriculum Bionanotechnology of the University of Genoa, always in collaboration with the IIT.
As PhD student of the University of Genoa, she is working in IIT in the research group of Smart Materials. The aim of her studies is the development of “Smart indicators of alterations in the metabolic activity of microorganisms”.
She has also concluded her master studies in the School of Environmental Engineering at the Technical University of Crete (Πολυτεχνείο Κρήτης/Politechnio Kritis).
We are very happy and honored to take Mrs Kossyvaki ‘s interview as part of our project’s work.
After we met the scientist during our amazing tour and visit at the Italian Institute of Technology in Genova, Italy, as part of our Erasmus+ students mobility in 2019, srudents were very inspired by her work and also very enthousiastic about meeting a Greek young scientist in the Italian Institute of Technology, so they wanted to include her interview in our last magazine. Students admire her research and work so much !
You can read the full very interesting interview in the following pdf file:
“Smart materials, also called intelligent or responsive materials, are designed materials that have one or more properties that can be significantly changed in a controlled fashion by external stimuli, such as stress, moisture, electric or magnetic fields, light, temperature, pH, or chemical compounds. Smart materials are the basis of many applications, including sensors and actuators, or artificial muscles, particularly as electroactive polymers (EAPs)Smart materials have properties that react to changes in their environment. This means that one of their properties can be changed by an external condition, such as temperature, light, pressure, electricity, voltage, pH, or chemical compounds. This change is reversible and can be repeated many times. There is a wide range of different smart materials. Each offer different properties that can be changed. Some materials are very good indeed and cover a huge range of the scales.” – WIKIPEDIA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_material
Clean and Run Marathon – Genova
Supervised by the teachers Mr Gianluca Litterio, Mr Francesco Santoro and Ms Franca
Monzeglio, our students, divided into several teams, according to the different collection of
material (paper, plastic, glass and aluminium), worked together to collect the waste they
The marathon started from Piazza delle Feste, and offered a tour in the
historical centre of Genoa. Some info-points were located in the most important sites of the
city, such as Piazza De Ferrari, Via Garibaldi and Piazza Don Andrea Gallo. The initiative,
promoted by AMIU, the company of the Genoese municipality in charge of managing the
wastes in town, was intended to raise awareness in as many young people as possible.
The students of Galileo Galilei Technical High School together with young people from other
schools have worked today and will work tomorrow to respect the planet through recycling.
“European Schools Go Green” DECEMBER 2019 PRESS RELEASE – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada
DECEMBER 2019 PRESS RELEASE
With intensive preparations, activities, work, hospitality and endless creativity we are continuing enthousiasticly the third and final year of the European Erasmus + Programme / KA2 Key Action / “Collaboration for Innovation and Exchange of Good Practices” 2017-2020 entitled “European Schools Go Green” 2017-2020 at the 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada!
After two exceptionally creative years, we reached the third and final year of this European collaboration, having already exchanged visits and hosted students and teachers from both schools abroad with success and excellent results. Our students and teachers have already also traveled and have been warmly hosted in Genoa, Italy, and in Kassel, Germany, returning with life experiences and spiritual and mental resources. A collaboration with great dissemination of our work and a particularly warm response from the local community, the school and family environment of the students, the numerous collaborators and local authoritiew and many institutions we are working with, with publications and extensive articles in print and digital Greek, Italian and German Press, a tribute from local television, the website of the Directorate of Education of Western Greece which posted articles about our collaboration and our digital products on the “best practices” website and more.
Even before the schools opened we started with excitement. Since August, the teachers’ pedagogical team has been preparing our partners hosting for October. Also, our digital journal was published with the presentation of work and products from all three schools of the second year “Science Year” 2018-2019.
In September before our students came to school for the new school year the first harvest was made by the Photocycling company of small appliances and lamps that we collect in our school’s special bins. After our first year in this important recycling network, it was a great pleasure to see the full bins emptied and sent where everything the pupils, educators and sensitized citizens collected would be recycled safely.
As Mrs Salvanou, the IT teacher and member of our school’s Erasmus + pedagogical team that has been in charge of organizing the small appliances recycling, writes :
“We all can!!! Small daily habits change, recycle with us starting from home and school … One by one, class after class, home after home ! At our school we already recycled 82kg of electrical appliances and 3.2kg of lamps . Through Photocycling SA actions (approved of the Greek Ministry of Education, Research & Religions) at the 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada pupils and teachers collect old – damaged electrical appliances in special bins. The company cooperates with the Greek factory – recycler Eco Circle so that the appliances are not disposed of in an environmentally unfriendly manner, but undergo a special withdrawal process. Only 65% of the devices disposed in Greece are recycled, mainly through hospitals, companies, municipalities or affiliates, motivated by other financial or planning objectives. In schools this action is still rare, which does not mean it cannot be expanded. ” says Mrs Salvanou.
At the beginning of October we completed the mural “Erasmus + – European Schools Go Green 2017-2020” which will now adorn the multipurpose room “Erasmus” that has been designed and equipped by our program, and will remind us of our experience over the years and how much Erasmus has changed us and connects Europe’s students , schools and local communities.
In front of the mural are also displayed the models of our school created last year by our students under the guidance of their teacher Mr. Spyropoulos Professor of Technology, with modifications to the energy profile of the building and the addition of renewable energy sources, together with the energy study they did with their professor Mr. Vassilopoulos Professor of Physics for a more “green European school” as is the goal and title of all our cooperation with schools abroad.
During the week of October 21st – 25th 2019, our school enthusiastically welcomed the Italian delegation of teachers of our partner school Galileo Galilei Technical High School (5 Italian teachers, also having the great honour of having here Mrs Monteforte Headmaster of Galileo Galilei Technical Genoa High School) for a week of conferences, work and cultural visits and activities.
That week we had a series of meetings in our school’s specially designed Erasmus multipurpose room, we evaluated the second year of collaboration and organized this year’s work and final products.
With our guests we visited the City Hall of Ilida where gifts and souvenirs were exchanged. The Italian teachers expressed their joy for the cooperation and their thanks and greetings by presenting gifts to the Mayor of Ilida Mr. Yiannis Lymberis, while receiving warm welcome from Mr. Kapsis, Counselor of Culture of the Municipality of Ilida, Mr. Ioanna Stavropoulou, Chairman of the School Committee for Secondary Education of the Municipality of Ilida, Mr. Christos Nikolopoulos Chairman of the School Committee for Primary Education Chairman of the Public Council “Elios”, Mr. Eugenios Asteris, in a ceremony relayed by local television and has been published in print and online media. The Municipality of Ilida also culminated hospitality by offering a working dinner in the town of Amaliada.
We also visited the city of Pyrgos as well, where on Wednesday, October 23, 2019 we were guided to the Archaeological Museum of Pyrgos, the Merkouri estate, and finally the historical Katakolo Lighthouse having a special permit from the Hellenic (Greek) Navy Military Office.
It was a great pleasure and honour for us to have lunch with Head of Directorate of Secondary Education of Ilia, Mr.Vasileios Dimitrellos, who warmly congratulated the participants on the successful course and results of the cooperation. He exchanged gifts and souvenirs with the visitors and discussed many educational issues of our schools in both countries with our Headmasters and olus schools’ teachers.
We were also honoured to be accompanied by Mrs Tita Terzi, who as a School Activities and Culture Officer in previous years has supported our partnership, as well as all the activities of our school morally and practically, Mrs Harbali Iulia, a representative of the European Programmes Group of the Directorate of Secondary Education of Ilia, who was also close to us from the start of the programme, our eTwinning’s Ambassador awarded with 1st European eTwinning and other educational prizes Mrs Sofia Kouzouli, who warmly welcomed our guests and donated to our guests important works of Greek literature in English translation.
In Ancient Ilida, the ancient town which organized the Olympic Games in Ancient Greece, on the morning of Thursday, October 24, 2019 we all enjoyed the magnificent archaeological site and Museum with a guided tour by the archaeologist in charge Mrs Panagodimou.
All the above important representatives of the Educational Community and the State, despite their overwhelming workload, were extremely welcoming hosts and gladly participated in the organizational meeting work with the Italian colleagues and as a result our guests returned excited about their welcoming by the representatives of Greek authorities.
At the end of the week’s work, the conclusions and timetables were finalized and details were discussed about the upcoming trip of the Greek and Italian students to Kassel, Germany, hosted this time by the German Goethe Gymnasium.
Finally, the certificates of attendance were awarded and commemorative gifts were offered to Italian colleagues and their school. In the Erasmus Room of our school, the guests as well as the students and teachers of the Erasmus team left their message and signature in our mural so that the wall of the room would be filled with the positive emotions that brought us close.
In November and December informative and presentational meetings with the parents of our students took place, as well as a special briefing for the parents of the students who will be travelling to Kassel, Germany in April 2020.
Informing parents of Erasmus students.
The last year of cooperation is already in the middle! For two and a half years, during which we have had the great pleasure of meeting and collaboration of the students of the three schools, the
satisfaction and pride of our best ambassadors, who linked Amaliada with Genoa, Italy, and Kassel, Germany, we are glad we are building a strong and productive bridge of communication between our educational communities, families, cities and countries. But it is also important the fact that we have been able to reflect, inform, inspire first mentality changes and promote ideas and present the work of the students who have communicated with perseverance and enthusiasm, creating products by studying renewable energy, sustainable development, climate change and cultivating the social consciousness of the modern citizen.
Students are leading and continuing to zealously promote the change of our mentality and daily life, enriching it with the use of new technologies with low energy footprint and a more established ecological consciousness. We have come to this third and final year to complete our programme, which seems to be also successful.
Our project on Twinspace: https://twinspace.etwinning.net/34044
Highlights Website with selected products and activities: https://europeanschoolsgogreen.wordpress.com/
Our digital magazines: https://issuu.com/europeanschoolsgogreen
Our programme in various articles in Greek and foreign press:
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada small appliances and lighting equipment first year results!!!
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada small appliances and lighting equipment recycling first year results!
Our school installed the special bins last year as part of our Erasmus+ “school getting green” project of our Erasmus+ collaboration second year!
So at the start of this schoolyear, September 2019, the recycling company “Fotokiklosi” collected our recyclable material and we are very proud that we are the only school in the Ileia prefecture of West Greece having this installed bins!
Our students families , teachers, school staff and local community brought small household appliances, light bulbs etc for recycling.
Recycling Company “Fotokiklosi” at 25/9/2019 collected from our school (the following small household appliances for recycling: Lighting equipment, Monitoring and control instruments, Electrical and electronic tools, IT and telecommunications equipment,Consumer equipment) : 4 kilos of lighting equipment and 86 kilos of small house appliances.
Not bad for such a small school’s start! We are so happy wll these kilos did not end up in the garbage!
We will collect more this year!
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada, Greece, member of the global Ecoschools Network
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada, Greece
became a member of the global ecoschools network
Here are the official sites of the network
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada small appliances and lighting equipment special recycling bins installation!!!
This schoolyear, in 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada,
as part of our Erasmus project activities and “our school getting greener” project ,
in October 2018 we applied for and in January 2019 installed special Recycling bins for small household appliances !!!
Our teacher Mrs Stavroula Salvanou , teacher of the Erasmus+ pedagogical team of 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada, contacted ” Photokiklosi S.A. ” (as part of their cooperation with Greek Ministry of Education) and applied for the equipment. The bins arrived and we are very happy they are now installed in our school!
Fotokiklosi S.A. is a nonprofit e-waste producer responsibility organizationapproved by the Greek Ministry of the Environment, Energy and Climate Change. The main purpose of Fotokiklosi SA is to contribute to the nations recycling system and to the protection of the environment within the scope of the Greek and European legacy.
Now all students families , teachers and school staff can bring from their homes all the following small household appliances for recycling!!!
• Vacuum cleaners
• Carpet sweepers
• Other cleaning appliances
• Appliances used for sewing, knitting, weaving and other appliances used to process textiles
• Irons and other appliances for ironing, mangling, and other care of clothing
• Grinders, coffee machines and equipment for opening or sealing containers or packages
• Electric knives
• Appliances for hair-cutting or drying hair, brushing teeth, shaving, massage and other body care appliances
• Clocks, watches and equipment for purpose of measuring, indicating or registering time
IT and telecommunications equipment
• Pocket and desk calculators
• Cordless telephones
• Entry phones – video door phone installations
• Hi-fi recorders
Electrical and electronic tools
• Tools for riveting, nailing or screwing or removing rivets, nails, screws or similar uses
Monitoring and control instruments
• Smoke detectors
• Heating regulators
• Measuring, weighing or adjusting appliances for household or laboratory equipment
• Other monitoring and control instruments used in industrial installations (e.g. in control panels)
• Luminaires for fluorescent lamps with the exception of luminaires in households
• Straight fluorescent lamps
• Compact fluorescent lamps
• High intensity discharge lamps, including pressure sodium lamps and metal halide lamps
• Low pressure sodium lamps
• Other lighting or equipment for the purpose of spreading or controlling light with the exception of filament bulbs
School projects information and application form by Fotokiklosi (in greek only):
- PUZZLE ! Erasmus+ , first transnational meeting, Kassel October 2017!
- Our Erasmus+ Work Calendar
- Our First Renewable Energy Quiz! How much do you know?
- Weebly Greek mini blog
- 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada – Galileo Galilei Technical High School of Genova : Work Progress September 2017 – January 2019
- ” European Schools Go Green” Erasmus+ Project 2019 printable Calendar
- our published e-magazines link on ISSUU
- Our European Schools Go Green site on wordpress!
- DISSEMINATION AND PROMOTION OF OUR PROJECT !!! 2017-2020
2nd Junior High School of Amaliada students interviewed Environmental Engineering ,Smart Material scientist and expert Mrs Despoina Kossyvaki
15 July 2020
Interview of Proffessor Emannouella Doussis , on Climate Change, Environmental International Law etc
1 July 2020
Interview of Mrs Haroula Kromyadou , Responsible for Environmental Education Projects of Arcturos NGO – 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada
20 June 2020
Information on the European Union’s renewable energy policies- sustainable goals – EU countries profiles examples and comparisons George Papachristodoulou
5 June 2020
- "Climate Change" Newspaper – articles collection for our climate study research!
- "The Renewable energy Daily" Articles daily collection about Renewable Energy for our Erasmus + "European Schools Go Green" Project study and research
- 2nd Junior High School of Amaliada , Greece
- All Renewable Types of Energy World Map by National Geographic
- Biomass Biowaste Energy World Map by National Geographic
- European Schools Go Green Highlights Site on Wordpress
- European Schools Go Green Youtube channel !!!
- Geothermal Energy World Map by National Geographic
- Goethe Gymnasium , Kassel , Germany
- Greek Ministry of Enviroment and Energy – usefull links
- Greek newspaper article about our trip to Genova and the presents offered to Mayor of Amaliada by Galileo Galilei and Genova Mayor
- Greek press article about the week in Amaliada , April 2018
- Hydroelectric Energy World Map by National Geogrpahic
- Istituto Scolastico Einaudi Casaregis Galilei , Genova , Italy
- Newspaper "The Ecology Daily" – Articles daily collection for our Erasmus Project study
- Our Project on Etwinning!
- Our weebly highlights mini greek blog!
- SHOW YOUR STRIPES – GLOBAL WARMING – CLIMATE CHANGE – visual representations of the change in temperature over the past 100+ years
- Solar, Tidal, and Wave Energy World Map by National Geographic
- Wind Energy World Map by National Geographic!