Our school, the 3rd Gymnasio of Naoussa, is a junior high school, which was founded in 1985. It is located in Naoussa, a small town in northern Greece, in Macedonia, 90 km from Thessaloniki, the second largest city in Greece.
Today 224 attend our school. Their ages range from 12 to 15 years. They all follow the national curriculum. There are 23 teachers of different specialties. Since 1986 many extracurricular programmes have been implemented.
Environmental education (30 programmes)
- Health education (15 programmes)
- Consumer’s education (5 programmes)
- Drama education (18 performances with many awards)
- Edition of a school newspaper (10 years – awards by the major Greek newspapers)
Our school has successfully participated in many European and national programmes.
- It is a member of UNESCO associated schools. In 1990 it was honoured with the global award “Earth Day”.
- It participated in the European contest of young consumer 4 times and it was honoured with the 1rst and 3rd award.
- The students of our school visited the European parliament three times – twice after having participated in a national competition (EUROSCOLA programme), and the third was last year after winning the 3rd prize in a poster competition. The theme was gender equality.
- We participated in Comenius programmes and student exchange programmes with 7 European countries from 1997 until 2011.
In the framework of tackling the phenomenon of school violence and racism:
- We integrated projects on racism, discrimination and school violence into our curriculum.
- We organised regular events related to school and domestic violence in cooperation with students, parents and the local community.
- We participated in an online anti-Cyber Bullying programme of the Hellenic Police.
- We organised a one-day conference on school and domestic violence, in cooperation with the Municipality of Naoussa, the neighbouring primary school and the support of the Ministry of Education (Regional Education Directorate of Central Macedonia).
- We took part in the programme of the General Secretariat for Youth, “I learn my rights, I become an active citizen”.
The school cooperates with the Municipality of Naoussa, scientists and other bodies, on a regular basis.