lay off = relax, have a rest
- You ‘ve been working too hard lately. You need to lay off for a while.
- He became ill through overwork and the doctor told him to lay off for a month.
- I have been going to the gym and working out but some exercises have become too painful for me. Maybe I should lay off for a while.
- You have been under a lot of stress with the exams and everything. Why don ‘t you go to your grandparents’ house and lay off for a while?
- Doctors told me to lay off for a couple of weeks for a speedy recovery.
- After the breakup she went on vacation with her sister. I guess she needed to lay off for a while.