check over = examine
- Check your paper over before you hand it in to the teacher.
- Could you please check over my car? There ‘s a strange noise I ‘ve been hearing when I start the engine.
- Could you please check over our bill? There must be a mistake. We didn’t order as much.
- Check the contract over before you sign it.
- Before we bought the house, we checked over everything, the floors, the walls, the roof, everything!
jump to = move quickly, arrive quickly
- He couldn’t find his money and he jumped to the conclusion that I had stolen it! I was very much insulted!
- Don’t jump to rash conclusions. You are not really sure that he lied to you. Ask first.
- Food prices have jumped to a record. Food has never been so expensive.
- Unemployment jumped to 15% in November.
- The number of people who are uninsured jumped to fifty million.
- Jump to it or you ‘ll miss the train! (= hurry up!)
- If you don’t jump to it, you ‘ll miss the beginning of the film.