There are many reasons why literature should be used as a means of learning foreign languages. The most significant ones are the following:
- It enhances the acquisition of language skills and intercultural understanding.
- It hones students’ critical thinking.
- It develops their creativity and imagination.
- It enriches their knowledge of the world.
- It is authentic material.
- It is motivating .
- It encourages students to talk about their thoughts and feelings.
Things would have been much easier if literature teaching was incorporated in the curriculum of foreign languages. Now it depends on the enthusiasm and motivation of the educator.