Let’s study the Present Continuous Tense:)
Source of picture: centralmadeirense.com.ve
1) You are walking now.
2)You are not cooking now
3) Are you watching TV?
4) I am sitting.
5) I am not standing.
6) Is he sitting or standing?
7) They are travelling to New York at the moment.
8) They are not reading stories now.
9) What are you doing?
10) Why aren’t you studying?
a) We use the Present Continuous with Normal Verbs to express the idea that something is happening now, or something is not happening at this very moment. In English, «now» can mean: this second, today, this month, this year, this century, and so on.
b) We also use the Present Continuous to say that we are in the process of doing a longer action which is in progress; however, we might not be doing it at this exact second.
c) Sometimes, speakers use the Present Continuous to indicate that something will or will not happen in the near future.
d) We use the Present Continuous Tense with words such as «always» or «constantly» to expresses the idea that something irritating often happens. Remember to put the words «always» or «constantly» between «be» and «verb+ing.»
1) Aren’t you teaching at the school now?
2) She is coming to the party tonight!
3) I don’t like them because they are always complaining.
Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple present or present progressive).
- He (leave) _______ the house now.
- Quiet please! I (study) ________ for a test.
- She usually (go) _______ to school on foot.
- Look! Today she (go) ________ to school by taxi. She is late.
- On Sundays I (visit) _________ my grandparents.
- He often (go) ________ to the theatre with his friends.
- We (play) _______ a funny board game at the moment.
- The child often (read)_______ stories.
- I (not / watch) ________ TV at the moment.
- (listen / he)_______ to the radio regularly?
- This (be) _____ Elena.
- She (wear) _____ a long dress today.
- He (eat)________ an apple at the moment.
- John (like) ______ eating healthily.
- We (not drink) ______ alcohol.
- Mary (not know) ______ the time of the birthday party.
- Tania (have) ______ short blond hair.
- Joanna (like) ______ tennis.
- He (play) _______ football every Monday and Thursday.
- John and Clara (be) ______ best friends.
Answers: 1: is leaving, 2: am studying, 3: goes, 4: is going, 5: visit, 6: goes, 7: play, 8: reads, 9: am not watching, 10: Does he listen, 11: is, 12: is wearing, 13: is eating, 14: likes, 15: don’t drink, 16: doesn’t know, 17: has, 18: likes, 19: plays, 20:are