Sweet spreads-CLIL Lesson Plan
Subject Food preparation – Culinary techniques .
Level Students at the age of 15-17 years old Time 90min
- Students will be able to understand and use an accurate vocabulary in working with sweet spreads.
- Students will be able to prepare/cook apple marmalade and use it for other sweets.
- Students will appreciate the role of ingredients of sweet spreads.
Previous knowledge/skills: Jelly, Culinary Techniques, Recipe reading, Mise en place, e.t.c.
Content Objectives/Outcomes: With the completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Give instructions for preparation of marmalades or other sweet spreads.
- Identify the ingredients and their role in the recipe.
- Name the classifications of fruits depending on their content to acid or pectin.
- Denominate sweet spreads
- Identify the differences and similarities of jams and marmalades based on the preparing method.
Communication/Language Objectives/Outcomes: With the completion of the unit students will:
- Use an accurate vocabulary in working with marmalades/jams.
- Use imperative verbs to describe, define and explain the recipes and the ingredients that are involved in these.
- Understand the language of describing, defining and explaining the recipes.
- Understand more specific vocabulary in food technology and gastronomy.
|saucepan, pot, teaspoon, cup, knife, bowl, rattan mixer
|Sugar, fruit, pectin, peels, and pips, pulp, cinnamon, acid (lemon juice)|
VERBS: heat, boil, stir, cut, strain, mix, pour, melt,
ADJECTIVES: crushed or chopped, gelled. Consistent, gelatinous
SPECIFIC VOCABULARY: preservative, Jams, marmalades, preserves, and conserves, pectin content, gelatinization, caramelizing, crystallizing
Competence objectives/outcomes: Students will :
- Follow recipe instructions
- Understand and use vocabulary related to cooking and recipes
- Describe preparation methods.
- Prepare apple marmalade.
Cultural objectives/outcomes: With the completion of the unit students will:
– Underline any different kind of sweet spreads.
– Appreciate the importance of homemade products.
– Encourage the preparation of their own sweet spreads.
Cognitive objectives/outcomes: With the completion of the unit students will:
-Remember, understand and explain the recipes and the role of each ingredient in the preparation/cooking method.
– Apply the steps of these preparations to their daily life.
|1. Listening/ Understanding and use of vocabulary||There’s a small lecture with the use of PowerPoint presentation, questions/answers and after that students are asking to complete some practice exercises on worksheet 1.|
|2. Cooking session||Students are divided in 3teams. Each team has to prepare an apple marmalade recipe. They have to read the recipes they have to follow (worksheet 2) and collect the materials, ingredients they will use. They discuss the preparation method instructions verbs and take each one his responsibilities to the preparations. In the meanwhile of marmalade’ cooking time, they will prepare pies with Nutella and then with apple marmalade. They will also make an apple strudel by using this marmalade.|
|3. Critical thinking / Specific vocabulary||They describe their recipe to the others explaining the role of each ingredient (worksheet3).|